Nut Free/Dairy free Flat Bread or tortillas!

|
So, I stumbled upon this recipe at Pecan Bread. I have to say, we had the flat bread tonight with our hamburgers and both J and I were amazed at how good is actually did taste. N liked that he could "roll" it up and hid beans in it! I am shocked at when you eat this with meat or some other filling how the brain really processes it like bread!

These would make great "roll up" finger sandwiches, tortilla shells, or "crepes" for sandwich fillings.


Overall, they don't take too long to prepare, probably an hour start to finish...which when you consider the time it takes to make bread...this is nothing!

The trick is to make sure your egg whites are beaten until very stiff and the pureed veggies have all excess water removed. I simply boiled some carrots and beans together until soft, drained all the water, pureed them with my hand-held blender. The result was very thick! Perfect for this recipe.


Recipe:

1/3 cup pureed veggies (a combination of carrots, green beans, cauliflower, or squash, or just pick one of them)

6 Egg Whites
4 Egg Yolk
2 Tsp salt or seasoned salt. ( I like the "sugar free" season salt...I will post a recipe.)

If you don't have left over cooked veggies, than peel and cut some carrots and add green beans to the boiling water. Drain water and puree with a hand-held blender. Place egg whites in the bowl of a stand mixer and beat on high with the salt until stiff peaks form.
Blend the egg yolks and veggies together until liquid.

Carefully fold in the veggie mixture with the egg whites until blended.

Pre-heat the oven to 300 degrees.


Put batter on a sil-pat on a cookie sheet either spread through the whole thing or drop and slightly flatten in circles if using for buns or tortilla substitute. I would suggest potentially spreading the batter between 2 sheets if doing just the flat bread. The recipe makes
aprox. 22 "bun" sized rounds. (I recently tried this on parchment paper and not the sil-pat and it was a disaster...so I recommend the silpat. I am going to try it on a well greased sheet next, I will let you know how it turns out!)

Place in the oven for 30 minutes until lightly browned. If stacking pans, rotate mid-way through cooking.


We are really excited about these! Give them a try! Let me know what you think... It can't get any better, eggs and hidden veggies:)

0 comments:

Post a Comment