Millet Drop Biscuits

|
We just had these tonight with our soup, and N and J both thought they passed the test....okay, well n chowed down on 2 huge biscuits and wanted a third. J thought they were a good substitute! I will make one note. I used store purchased millet flour for these, simply b/c I had it and didn't feel like grinding my own, and I have to say I thought the taste of the flour wasn't nearly as satisfying. I highly, highly recommend grinding your own millet!

So here it is. Thank you to Nourishing Gourmet for the start to this process:
2 cups millet flour
3 tsp homemade baking powder
1 tbsp sucanant (optional)
1 tsp salt (or 1/2 tsp if using salted butter)
8 Tbsp butter cut into small cubes (salted or not, I used salted)
3/4 cup buttermilk or yogurt (used yogurt, they rose beautifully, and held their texture)
2 eggs beaten into the yogurt or butter milk

Start by grinding your own millet in a blender if need be. For this you would simply place 2 cups of millet in a blender and turn it on liquefy for about a 1/2 hour, or until a fine flour consistency.

Take the 2 cups of millet and mix them thoroughly with the baking powder and salt. When well combined cut in butter. I used a pastry cutter, Nourishing Gourmet says you can use your fingers....or you could used a fork and a knife. A pastry cutter isn't too expense and it is a great purchase for baking. When the batter looks like course crumbles stir in your dairy/egg blend. The mixture will be a little wetter than traditional biscuit dough, but still firm enough to drop by the spoonful onto a greased baking sheet or a sil-pat.

Place in a 425 degree oven for 10-15 minutes. Remove from the pan promptly and place on a cooling rack or eat them! :) I didn't have any problems with them breaking or being crumbly, but Nourishing Gourmet warns about that as a problem. She also used buttermilk...

0 comments:

Post a Comment